Sunday, January 22, 2006

Answers In Genesis Creation Conference

Saturday ( yesterday) I got to go to the Answers In Genesis Creation Conference in Wayne, New Jersey. The conference took place in a huge church/school facility. The place was packed with families of Bible-believing parents and children. There were well over a thousand people at the conference.

We bought our tickets and were ushered into a huge auditorium (with a balcony fitting several hundred people). Unfortunately, we had seats in the far back, but we still had an average view of the podium.

At 9AM, one of North America's most popular Christian speakers, best-selling author, evangelist, radio host, and founder of Answers in Genesis, Ken Ham started his lecture on genes and races, called "One Blood". He talked about how there is only one race, mankind, on the planet. The Tower of Babel was a gene pool that was dispersed throughout the world. He tackled issues such as gay-marriage and inter-racial marriage. He was, of course, opposed to gay marriage, but he had some very interesting points on inter-racial marriage and how it isn't opposed at all by the Bible. And of course, he discussed evolution and the "man evolved from apes" theory. The lecture was really good but ended after an hour and fifteen minutes.

Then the audience was given a twenty minute intermission to stretch their legs and look at the book and DVD collections ( which were very impressive).

During this time, I pushed through the crowds to the front of the auditorium and climbed on stage. After a couple minutes of impatient waiting, I got to meet Ken Ham, chat with him for a couple of minutes, and get his autograph. He said: "it's good to see young, Christian men like you, interested in this stuff."

Needless to say, I was thrilled. :)

Next, award-winning professor and Creation speaker, Dr. David Menton took the stage to give a lecture on biology and the Bible. "The Hearing Ear and the Seeing Eye" was a little over an hour long and focused on the incredible structure of our ears and eyes. How could such incredible things just evolve? How could it be pure chance that clear skin is formed only over our eyes? How could the intricate formation of our inner ears be pure blind luck? How could the "trap door censors" inside our ears just evolve by chance?

After lunch, we returned to the auditorium to hear Ken Ham's "Why Won't They Listen? How To Evangelize an Increasingly Secular World". He explained that public schools are giving children an "evolution foundation" which makes the Christian's job of evangelizing much more difficult. He said that we need to use the evangelism method that Paul used while witnessing to the Greeks. Paul had to build a foundation, a Christian foundation based on Creation before telling the unbelievers about sin and forgiveness.

Then author, speaker, and popular musician Buddy Davis took the stage playing the guitar and mandolin for a 20 minute concert. His songs were all Christian themed and fun. ( Buddy Davis is also the man who sculpted all the dinosaurs at the Creation Museum.) I, once again, climbed on stage and met Mr. Davis and got his autograph.

The final lecture was by Dr. David Menton on the movie, "Inherit the Wind", a film with a twisted view on the Scopes Trial. He went over the basics of the Scopes Trial and what went on during it. I'll post more on this later in my up-coming series on the Scopes Trial.

The conference was very educational and fun ( and cost a reasonable $16 per family). My entire family enjoyed it, even the younger ones. Ken Ham's ministry is awesome! Founded on Genesis and the marvels of Creation, it has spread through America and the rest of the world. Hopefully, his ministry will continue to grow in the up-coming years.

10 Comments:

  • I'm being very random tonight, so brace yourself. I just saw the poll you had in your sidebar. I am SO touched that no one (at least so far) has voted on contemporary Christian music. I have very strong convictions in this area, and...I'm just saying, it's so wonderful that other churches are following Christ's footsteps in this important area of music.

    *hopes she makes sense*

    (BTW, I found your blog from the Rebelution. Just so you're not like, who is this strange person? :) )

    By Blogger Carley, at 6:43 PM  

  • Hi Carley! Thanks for visiting! When you say "Christ's footsteps", you mean hymns, right?

    My church has hymns during the morning service and psalms during the evening. I agree with you, that chuches should try to stick to these musical areas. I find that they are more reverent and Biblical. But I'm not saying Christian Contemporary is sinful or anything, I just don't find it the best way to praise the Lord.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    By Blogger MVB, at 6:49 PM  

  • Isn't "One Blood" a book? I have been wanting to read that!

    By Blogger Polka Dotted Pickles, at 6:59 PM  

  • Yeah, it is. We bought it yesterday, it's really good! :)

    By Blogger MVB, at 7:01 PM  

  • oh, I love Ken Ham and Buddy Davis!!! I have met both of them on numerous accounts and have always enjoyed it. Have you heard about the essay competition Answers in Genesis is doing? It is on their web-page. It might interest you...

    By Blogger abby, at 9:17 PM  

  • Yeah, I've looked into it... If I have time, I'll try to enter it.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    By Blogger MVB, at 10:36 PM  

  • Sounds like an awesome night of great speakers! Wow, wish I could have been there...:)

    I've actually met Ken Ham the same way you have... At a conference. Just when I was quite a bit younger. :)

    By Blogger pete, at 12:29 PM  

  • :-) that's okay. I'm linking to you now.
    Ken Ham is so hilarious! I love hearing him speak.

    By Blogger Unconformed, at 3:50 PM  

  • I really like Ken Ham's ministry, too. Another interesting speaker is Kent Hovind. He has some funny things to say about public schools.

    By Blogger Kathleen F., at 8:43 PM  

  • I went to Bible College with Ken Ham's brother. He was a nice guy, but the Lord called him home about 3-4 years ago.

    By Blogger One Salient Oversight, at 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home