Friday, February 03, 2006

Treasures

I read this poem in Literature today:

One by one He took them from me,
All the things I valued most,
Until I was empty-handed;
Every glittering toy was lost.

And I walked earth's highways, grieving.
In my rags and poverty.
Till I heard His voice inviting,
"Lift your empty hands to Me!

"So I held my hands toward heaven,
And He filled them with a store
Of His own transcendent riches,
Till they could contain no more.

And at last I comprehended
With my stupid mind and dull,
That God COULD not pour His riches
Into hands already full!

~ Martha Snell Nicholson


What an awesome poem! If we are too pre-occupied with worldy riches and treasures, how are we going to receive any of the blessings God has for us?

And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up. Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich. And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. -Luke 18: 18-24

We have to choose between God and this world, riches. Many ( including this ruler), because of their love for money and fame, choose earthly riches and do not inherit the gifts offered by God. In the poem, "Treasures", God took away "All the things I valued most"....earthly treasures. Then He could give the character in the poem his wonderful blessings.

Now this passage does not mean that we as Christians shouldn't have money and things of this world. We just have to make sure that God is always first and fore-most in our lives. We have to be willing to drop everything and follow him. :)

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: - Matthew 6: 19-20

And check out Glory '06, a new Christian blog run by Noah, a Southern Baptist from Kentucky.

5 Comments:

  • Ditto, unless you give stuff up, he can't replace it. (experience speaking)

    By Blogger Kierstyn Paulino, at 5:49 PM  

  • Hey, I think you have a problem with the comments on your newest post- it won't let me comment on it. Anyway, I registered! My username is ElvishPrincess. Are you LotR4ever?

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 3:23 PM  

  • Wow, what a great poem! Very true. Funny, but I was just thinking about that passage in Matthew just yesterday. We went to San Francisco yesterday to give food and clothes to the homeless people, you see. It was an awesome experience!

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 3:36 PM  

  • Your comments are definitely messed up. I commented the other day and it didn't work

    I'm not really into material possesions right now! Except I saw a really cute pair of shoes the other day.

    By Blogger Kaitlin, at 4:37 PM  

  • Yeah...my whole blog is messed up.... :) I have to work on it a bit.

    By Blogger MVB, at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home