Tuesday, March 14, 2006

1,600 More SAT Scoring Problems Found

When I take my SAT test... this better not happen...

The College Board disclosed Tuesday that an additional 1,600 SAT scores have not been rechecked from an exam in October that had scoring problems.

The previously overlooked batch of answer sheets came from among those being scored separately for a variety of reasons, including security concerns. Some of those scores were on hold and had not been reported, but others may have been reported incorrectly, according to an e-mail sent to college admissions officers and guidance counselors early Tuesday. The statement also was posted on the College Board's Web site.

College Board spokeswoman Chiara Coletti said Tuesday she became aware of the latest problem late Monday. The sheets will be rescanned over the next few days and colleges and students notified of any changes as soon as possible.

She said she expected some, though perhaps a small number, of scores would be affected."To the best of my knowledge, there are no more surprises," she said.

The College Board, which owns the SAT college entrance exam, disclosed last week that scoring errors had been discovered on 4,000 out of 495,000 tests taken during the October sitting. All 495,000 tests, plus answer sheets from three other sittings, were rescanned.

College admissions offices said that the earlier disclosure came just in time, before final decisions were made, though some expressed concern erroneous scores may have affected the decisions of students on where to apply for college.

Though it is unknown how many — if any — scores will be changed from the latest group of 1,600, the latest revelation will likely intensify criticism that has already surfaced from many in the admissions and testing fields over the College Board's handling of the error.

Some counselors and admissions professionals have also criticized the College Board's decision not to change the scores of students who received higher scores than they should have. The College Board said last week that the effect of those mistakes was "minute" but has since acknowledged about 600 students received higher scores that they deserved because of the scanning error.

11 Comments:

  • Hey, I wouldn't mind at all if it gave me a higher score.

    By Blogger Palm boy, at 7:17 PM  

  • wierd... but i wouldn't want it happening to me!

    By Blogger abby, at 8:52 PM  

  • Hmm, criticism eh? Maybe by the time I should be taking the SAT, it won't exist ^^

    By Blogger Emily, at 9:08 PM  

  • that's nasty! I'd be really ticked off if I like got a lower score than I really did... :)

    Btw, Zach, I'm having some issues again trying to access the online government forums... Could you post the link in here for me and see if that works? Thanks a ton man!

    By Blogger pete, at 12:41 AM  

  • Wow...I certainly hope that won't happen when I take the SAT.

    By Blogger Hannah-Liz, at 5:36 AM  

  • Ouch...well, on the bright side, if you got lower than you should have and actually got higher, that would be a nice suprise...
    I think they should fix them all. So many decisions are based on SATs, it's not fair to the kids.

    By Anonymous alyssa, at 8:41 AM  

  • Pete,

    Generation Joshua gave us a hard time since we were using part of their name without their permission. So we had to change the government's name and URL...

    Here's the link: http://thewiltedrose.net/genc/index.php

    By Blogger MVB, at 10:20 AM  

  • yikes! hope that doesn't repeat....

    By Blogger Unconformed, at 12:20 PM  

  • Thanks a million, Zach! I was wondering why I couldn't access the page... :)

    By Blogger pete, at 12:57 PM  

  • Oh man, that would be a bad day if they got your score wrong. If they had it too low, I guess it wouldn't be too bad, but if it was too high...!! I'm glad I'm over and done with it. :)

    By Blogger Soldier of ONE, at 10:27 PM  

  • I hope that doesn't happen when I take it this year! Yikes...

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home