Monday, March 27, 2006

Afghan Christian to be Released

Afghan officials announced to the media yesterday that Abdul Rahman, the man imprisoned for converting to Christianity, was going to be released. Those close to the trial claim that the case was dropped because prosecutors were unsure if Abdul Rahman was mentally fit for the trial. Right now, the prosecutors and lawyers are debating how and when the release should take place.

Meanwhile, dozens of protests are taking place inside various parts of the country. Muslim clerics threaten to incite other protests if Rahman is not sentenced to death.

Rahman is being held in a high-security prison, Policharki, inside Kabul. He was moved to this prison on Friday, after inmates of a lesser-security prison threatened to take his life. Rahman is being kept hidden from the media and other prisoners for his own safety.

I am very thankful that the Afghani courts have decided to release this man. He is clearly very brave, standing up for his faith in the middle of a country full of hate. But even if he is released, I believe for his own health, he should leave the country or remain under some sort of protection. Muslim clerics will not allow him to live peacefully. All we can do is pray for the Lord to watch over him.

7 Comments:

  • I'm so glad that he is going to be released!!!

    By Blogger Hannah-Liz, at 10:07 AM  

  • I feel sorry for him. It is great that he has been released, but he is going throuhg so much hardship. Thankfully God is with him through it all..

    By Blogger Emily, at 2:07 PM  

  • I do pray with all my heart that he will be released. Thanks for the post. And thanks for visiting my blog at Windows! Comments are always welcome. May the Lord bless you richly in Him.

    By Blogger Vicki, at 8:29 PM  

  • cool blog !!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 8:38 PM  

  • it's kind of sad, though that the only way he could get released is to be considered crazy. God works all things for good...

    By Blogger john david maresco, at 11:52 PM  

  • Perhaps he should become a missionary to the United States! We need some of his commitment and zeal over here.

    Elizabeth

    By Blogger Elizabeth Ellen Moore, at 11:30 AM  

  • Yes, we can learn a lot from Abdul Rahman. His refusal to back down in court reminds me of another incident on 4/18/1521 when one fearless man of God said, "Unless I'm convinced by testimonies of the Scriptures or by clear arguments that I am in error...my conscience is captive to the Word of God...Here I stand. I cannot do otherwise so help me God." That person was, of course, Martin Luther standing in court filled w/ nobles, the Emperor, and theologians.

    By Blogger Mercy Now, at 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home