Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patrick, the Missionary to Ireland

Patrick was born in Dumbarton, Scotland around 390 AD. His father was a deacon and his grandfather was a priest, but Patrick, himself, had no interest in Christianity. When he was 16 years old, Patrick was captured by pirates and sold into slavery in Ireland. It was during this time that he turned to God for help. The next four years were very difficult ( as you can imagine), and Patrick's only solace was his Lord and Savior. Finally, Patrick escaped from Ireland and returned to his home and family. Once there he began an extensive study of the Scriptures and preparation to go abroad with the news of the Gospel.

Around 435 AD, Patrick ( or St. Patrick) was sent to Ireland as a missionary to replace the discouraged and unsuccessful, Bishop Palladius. He set up his mission "headquarters" in Armagh, Ireland from where he began various evangelistic outreaches. It was during this time that Patrick gave his famous sermon, explaining the trinity by using a three-leaf clover. Patrick probably did more for the nation of Ireland then any other missionary before or after him.

Excerpt from St. Patrick's confession of faith:

.....exalt and praise His wonders before every nation that is anywhere under the heaven. Because there is no other God, nor ever was, nor will be, than God the Father unbegotten, without beginning, from whom is all beginning, the Lord of the universe, as we have been taught; and His son Jesus Christ, whom we declare to have always been with the Father .... begotten by the Father before the beginning of the world, before all beginning; and by Him are made all things visible and invisible.


He spent 40 years witnessing to the pagans, druids, and those who practiced dark magic. His work also staged a surge of missionaries pouring upon Germany, France, and Ireland over the next several decades. Before he died, St. Patrick looked back at the work he had accomplished:


Those who never had a knowledge of God but worshipped idols and things impure, have now become a people of the Lord, sons of God.


Now, I'm sure St. Patrick's doctrine wasn't perfect, but we should respect and remember his work of bringing the Gospel to a dark, unfriendly land. He taught the pagans about the Creation, the fall of man, salvation, and the path to God.

16 Comments:

  • MVB,
    Excellent post! I was planning to post something on St. Patrick too, but my blog is suffering technical difficulties. I am glad he is getting some recognition today!
    Elizabeth

    By Blogger Elizabeth Ellen Moore, at 10:41 AM  

  • Wow! I actually never knew that. I was wondering about St. Patrick's day when I saw the Google logo showing 3 leaf clovers.

    I'm glad to have been enlightened. Thanks MVB :)

    By Anonymous David Peyton, at 12:20 PM  

  • Thanks for the detailed history on St. Patrick and his endeavor to spread the Gospel. Happy St. Patrick's!

    By Blogger Mercy Now, at 11:31 PM  

  • Do not be deceived, The True Church was planted in The British Isles in 35 AD by Peter, Andrew and James.

    Patrick was a servant of the Whore of Babylon or the Babylonian mystery religion.

    You said:

    "Now, I'm sure St. Patrick's doctrine wasn't perfect"

    Why wasn't it perfect? I will tell you why because he came with a non-gospel, that's why. This in turn means he was not a Saint, and therefore, a son of the Devil.

    y2t

    By Blogger yes2truth, at 4:47 AM  

  • I've always thought getting drunk on a saint's holiday is a little odd ^^
    I also never understood the clover thing. Thanks for the information!

    By Blogger Emily, at 11:55 AM  

  • yes2truth - it would probably be a good idea to back up your conjectures with evidence. Why do you say Patrick was "a servant of the Whore of Babylon or the Babylonian mystery religion."? What did he do to mislead people as you seem to be indicating?

    Sincerely,
    Dave

    By Anonymous David Peyton, at 3:24 PM  

  • Back up your statements with facts, man.... ( yes2truth)

    By Blogger MVB, at 8:57 PM  

  • Let me ask you a question or two before I give you the facts.

    The first question I asked in my first post, which you conveniently ignored. I will repeat it as it was you who told us Patrick's doctrine was not perfect. Why was it not perfect? We cannot move on until you have given me a straight answer to this question.

    Do you believe Rome is the Church?

    And don't give me a Laodicean wishy washy liberal answer either - a plain yes or no.

    y2t

    By Blogger yes2truth, at 4:01 AM  

  • Yes2truth: Why was it not perfect?

    Guess what?

    I never met the guy, so I wouldn't know for sure.

    BUT according to the researching I did, Patrick was either a Catholic or a Methodist of some variation.
    (I actually read that the Catholic church stole his character, making him out to be a Catholic when he really wasn't.)

    But since I am a Reformed Presbyterian, I know that Patrick's doctrine and mine differ somewhat. For instance, I do not believe that a Christian can fall from grace, but Patrick probably did. Patrick probably believed in having the Lord's Supper more then four times a year, which differs from my belief.


    No, I do not believe that the Roman Catholic church is The Church. The Catholic church is very, very wrong in most of it's beliefs... ( Now, this does not mean that I believe no Catholic is saved. Some Catholic branches are worse and farther from the Gospel then others)

    By Blogger MVB, at 4:04 PM  

  • The whore of Babylon is more than wrong, it is full of filthy vileness with the blood of the Saints on it's hands. It's time you woke up from your civilised religious slumber.

    You and your silly friends give Rome credence with believing Patrick and Augustine were Christians when they were counterfeiters.

    Any words there offend you?

    My warning still stands and your removing it from your blog won't change what has been written and witnessed in Heaven.

    y2t

    By Blogger yes2truth, at 6:32 PM  

  • I would have given yes2truth the benefit of the doubt if he left out that the True Church was planted in the Brit Isles in 35 AD by Peter, Andrew, and James. I find no evidence from early church historians that these three disciples were there.

    By Blogger Mercy Now, at 12:16 AM  

  • Mercy Now said:

    "I would have given yes2truth the benefit of the doubt if he left out that the True Church was planted in the Brit Isles in 35 AD by Peter, Andrew, and James. I find no evidence from early church historians that these three disciples were there."

    I don't need your 'benefit of the doubt' just your basic understanding of the Truth. The Truth is, Rome and everything about Rome is a lie. It is not your, not accepting what I say, that is the problem it is what you accept in its place that is the problem.

    Here is a question for you: The True Church began in 31 AD or there abouts. Are you saying to me that Our powerful God took nearly 600 years to get His gospel message to The British Isles when Roman soldiers could sail or march there in a few weeks?

    Stop and think about this for a while. Furthermore we are now talking history not scripture.

    y2t

    By Blogger yes2truth, at 3:34 AM  

  • Yes2truth: The True Church began in 31 AD or there abouts. Are you saying to me that Our powerful God took nearly 600 years to get His gospel message to The British Isles when Roman soldiers could sail or march there in a few weeks?

    The Word of God didn't reach Australia and other countries until much, much later. It wasn't because God isn't powerful enough, but because he planned for His Word to reach these people at a certain time. Now, there is no way the Roman soldiers would do any witnessing. First of all, the were SOLDIERS not MISSIONARIES... and secondly, they probably did not all have a clear grasp of the Bible.

    Not all Catholics are saved. Some had very religious leaders and priests who misguide them badly. BUT some Catholics have gotten hold of the Bible and learned the truth. ( Not many, some)

    Look... Patrick brought God's Word to a pagan country, what is your problem with that?

    By Blogger MVB, at 8:52 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger yes2truth, at 5:36 PM  

  • Yes2truth, guess what? I don't need your "education"... I have the Lord, my parents, my pastor, and many other Christian friends who I can discuss the Scriptures with.

    Anything else you post I'll just delete, so don't waste your time.

    By Blogger MVB, at 6:30 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger yes2truth, at 2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home